A Conspiracy of Alchemists, Liesel Schwarz
(Ebury press, Great Britain, 2013)
Liesel Schwarz's Chronicles of Light and Shadow is a riveting trilogy, beginning with A Conspiracy of Alchemists, and follows the adventures of Elle Chance, an airship pilot who deals mostly in delivering cargo, and the odd circumstances that lead to her meeting the warlock Hugh Marsh while delivering a package from Paris to London.A fun read with sci-fi, a bit of sleuthing and all the charming Victorian aesthetic you'd expect from a Steampunk novel. I'm already through the second edition in the trilogy- you'll come to love Elle, she's so plucky and charming and her story keeps you coming back for more.
Professional reviews:
Library Journal (February 22, 2013; 9780345545077)
Author's Website
I came across an author interview from San Diego ComiCon, so here's Ms Schwarz talking about her book, the appeal of Steampunk, and the problematic aspects of Victorian and Edwardian fiction.
Must be off, I've an appointment with a certain gentleman upon the subject of a speckled band.
Regards,
E.
No comments:
Post a Comment